Sunday, August 26, 2012
What is a supportive family?
I've had two appointments so far with the bariatric team. The first with a nurse and the second with a social worker. They both asked about my home support system. I told them my family was all for me losing the weight. The social worker wanted more detail. She asked what they do to show their support. I thought about it. Well, my dad is willing to pay for the surgery (what insurance doesn't cover) and he'll make comments about foods I eat or need to eat... (ex: If I'm eating a pizza, he'll get on me for eating it. Or if there are several apples in the basket that need to be eaten, he'll remind me about them). My dad can also relate to dieting because lately he's been trying different tweaks in his diet... such as cutting out diary and gluten for a few weeks and seeing what changes that made for him. Then she asked about my mom.... I didn't want to talk much about my passed with my mom because it's not something I really dwell on as much as I used to. I did tell her my mom and I were both told last summer we were pre-diabetic. I got out of that prediabetic area immediately, but my mom literally told me she doesn't care. Now, a year later, she's been diagnosed with diabetes. She continues to pop open cans of soda and fruit nectar (loaded with sugar), bake cakes and pies, eat ice cream, etc. While I may not have the same sugary habits as her, when I see someone eating that junk, it makes me crave more of whatever it is I am eating. Instead of one serving of turkey burger, I may end up having three, for example. The social worker told me I needed to talk to my mom about being more supportive in what she brings into the house, not just with words. I talked to my mom about this, cautiously. All she did was pat my hand while I opened up to her about how hard it is to eat right when you're surrounded by temptation.
A couple hours later, my old sister shows up with a bag of McDonalds. She is 5'2" and pretty petite, however, she does have some chunk on her. She's nearly 30, but just got into the dating scene about a year ago. Like most girls just starting to date, she and her boyfriend are going out to restaurants and fast food chains every day. She has a stash of junk foods in her room as well as bottles of soda lined up along her dresser. Sooner or later, her bad food choices will start showing on her body. And with her age, her metabolism is going to begin slowing down. She has OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), and I'm worried that when she does suddenly start gaining weight, she's going to obsess over losing it and develop an eating disorder. Just last November, she dated this guy with a horrible record (we couldn't convince her not to seem him though) and he drove one night, drunk, flipped the car (which was actually mine) and the accident took off the top of her scalp and left her in a body brace for several months. She obsessed over her weight then, and she was skinny! She almost entirely quit eating and weighed herself several times a day. When I remind my parents of this, they don't seem to listen enough to say anything to her about the choices she's making now and how she should stop before she ends up like me.
The next day, my mom came home from the grocery store with loads of food, as always, including cake batter. The following day (today), I see a cake sitting out in the kitchen. So what did I do? I baked myself a pizza and some Romen noodles. Now that's a bigger binge than normal, but it was still trigger buy constantly seeing that cake and the other junk. I open the freezer and it's stocked with Butterfinger ice cream. The pantry is filled with Oreos and Cheez Its. I really ought to take a photo of all the food in supply. It's hard enough when you're watching tv and a fast food commercial comes on and put it in your head. Speaking of which, I think there should be no fast food commercials, especially with Americans already in an obesity epidemic.
Anyways, I know I can't change they're eating habits, and they aren't forcing food down my throat. But I do now desire the real support my social worker was talking about. I wish I could live alone and not worry about other people's temptations, but then again, that didn't work out for me so well last time (however, I was going through major depression then. I will talk about the 100 lb damage I did to myself living alone in another blog). I have my sleep study tonight. At first, I was wanting to cancel it because I dont think I can fall asleep in a different place, and with wires hooked up to me. Now, I can't wait til I can finally get there. I did get some teasing from a family member already today about there not being any midnight snacks there.
XOXO,
Miss Fat Girl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment